Google to launch online payments service: Gbuy

Gbuy.jpg
GBuy
Google chief executive Eric Schmidt says Google's pending online payments service GBuy won't compete directly with eBay's PayPal, but eBay doesn't believe him, according to this WSJ story.

...The Mountain View, Calif., Web-search giant, which has terrified Silicon Valley with its ability to quickly create new consumer products and services, is developing a rival service called GBuy. For the last nine months, Google has recruited online retailers to test GBuy, according to one person briefed on the service. GBuy will feature an icon posted alongside the paid-search ads of merchants, which Google hopes will tempt consumers to click on the ads, says this person. GBuy will also let consumers store their credit-card information on Google.

(Hat-tip to Battelle)

Comments

Google in venturing into everything... and it's doing well in China. See my recent post of competiton of Google and Baidu.

Helen Wang on February 6, 2006 8:28 PM

Gbuy to be linked with credit cards?

Well, Gbuy can only make a headway in Africa if it supports African countries unlike paypal which has a limited service for South Africa.

Oluniyi David Ajao on February 13, 2006 12:19 AM

WHERE CAN I SIGN UP FOR GBUY ALREADY!!!!!

I'm desperate for a low cost alternetive to pay**l!!

Is there nothing out there??!!??

Any help would be appreciated greatly. Contact me at:

cheetahalb on February 22, 2006 7:19 AM

G-Buy sounds obscene in my local language. It literally stands for "c**t".

Lawrence on March 22, 2006 1:14 AM

I like Google's way of doing things in a new way!

Look at the google calendar, its so easy to click directly on the day and create an event!

gbuy will have something really innovative!!

Venkat on April 24, 2006 5:49 PM

Google is doing great work. We need G-Buy in Africa. For example, I live in Kenya and internet with us other than sharing information is useless as we cannot transact online. It is like a car without an engine.
We really need online payment in Africa as soon as possible. Africa is one such market that is yet to be discovered by many service providers.

George Wafukho on April 25, 2006 12:57 AM

Were is G-Buy already!??? Hury up and get it launched alreayyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Payp**l SUCKS!!! I needed G-buy last year!!

Please visit my websites at:

Web Advertising

Renting Prom, bridesmaid, special occasion, and more!

million dollar man on April 27, 2006 6:55 AM

I wait for GBuy
wise move!

adoni on June 11, 2006 4:25 AM

Looking forward to GBuy!! Paypal limits my Ebay business by not allowing payment for "mature audience" merchandise that I sell. Additionally, the model that I use had just launched her new website, using Paypal as the payment vehicle, when Paypal tagged her site as "Adult Oriented", and shut down payment options.
Please check out my Ebay site:
kgmurphy112
Also, in the near future when GBuy goes live, visit my model's new website:
www.tatiahna.com

KGMurphy on June 28, 2006 9:02 AM

GBuy sounds terrific! My website had just been launched when Paypal "paralyzed" it, citing they were too pristine to allow payment for adult-oriented merchandise and website entry.
GBuy will offer a nice alternative for merchants and consumers, and hopefully will allow more freedom of choice with selling and purchasing the services and merchandise we desire.
When GBuy goes live, so will my website. Drop by and see me, please!

Tatiahna on June 28, 2006 9:18 AM

Hi again folks.
Just wondering if anybody know when the GBuy will go active. Actually the way the question was meant to be asked : when can I see more of Tatiahna :-))

Mr.T

Mr.T on July 10, 2006 4:56 PM

i wld lik to know how soon the online payments can be executed in the rest of developing Africa(especially Nigeria) apart from South Africa which usess paypal for now

lanre Suleiman on August 12, 2006 11:54 AM