Google Earth continued -- we're trippin', and its only 9am

google earth.jpgWe took our own advice, and played with Google Earth. Mistake, we've just spent an hour or so tripping all over. Our conclusion: Download it now. We'll try to hold back on sappy enthusiasm, but...this is awesome!

Matt did it it, and it took two minutes. First, he asked for directions -- complete with full satellite images -- to his home in Fremont, and then directed himself along the trail he jogs to Mission Peak in Fremont. As if on a flying carpet (there's a console, and you just use the mouse to direct you), he followed the trail to the peak, watching Google track his elevation, from 400 feet to 2,400 feet. Google destination image.jpg
Picture at left is Google Earth's image of the peak (reduced version). Google lets you put a marker at the peak, for future reference and notes. It lets you tilt the axis of the satellite, letting Matt notice for the first time how steep part of the trail was (there's about a 1,300 ft or so drop just about 200 feet or so to his right). Elevation reading in the picture at left is too small too see, but it's at the bottom.

google destination 2.jpgGoogle also lets you rotate the satellite map, so you can see the Bay side from this view (see picture on left, although the graphics show the Bay as a red sheen here). And it looks as though you can send an email with a file of the trail. If the recipient has the software installed, they can start flying themselves from that point, and so on. Anyway, this is going to be real cool. It's just the beginning of possibilities. More info? Here's a nice concise description of the features from SEW.

Comments

I played with it for just 15 minutes. And then uninstalled. On the other side of globe (Russia) you just get flat, choppy and dated images with a resolution 1"=200' or so. And no flying carpets. Same as GoogleMaps.

Waste of time.

Yuri Ammosov on June 28, 2005 9:58 AM

And BTW, you CANNOT post sceenshots from this prog.

"Your rights in the Software do not cover any broadcast or media use without execution of a separate agreement with Google allowing you to do so. "

Yuri Ammosov on June 28, 2005 10:02 AM

I played for about an hour, in and around Los Angeles -- nice features inlcuding viewing roads and businesses and pinpointing favorites et al. although when I tried to e-mail an image my system froze completely. Got back online and 'flew' from LA to London, but as Yuri says, just got choppy images. I'll keep playing though -- much more fun than doing real work today.

Gi-Gi on June 28, 2005 10:20 AM

Yeah, should have realized that Silicon Valley would have better graphics than the rest of the world. Mission Peak does look over toward the Googleplex...priorities, priorities.

Matt Marshall on June 28, 2005 10:25 AM

Thought you were going to "hold back on the sappy enthusiasm.'' Yeesh.

Larry P. on June 28, 2005 11:34 AM

Looks like photo coverage of Redmond/MS is pretty extensive too.

Must be to enable para-drop all those Google HR/recruitment types to slurp up stray 'softies loose in their sockets.

Steve on June 30, 2005 11:11 PM

All I get is stars or a flat green screen???

Robert on July 4, 2005 8:11 PM

But if I understand well, the whole stuff will still run on Windows only. As is Worldwind. What about Linux and Mac users?

geoeffect on July 5, 2005 10:40 AM

Please visit some information dedicated to casino casino http://www.favorite-casino.com/casino.html http://www.favorite-casino.com/casino.html gambling gambling http://www.favorite-casino.com/gambling.html http://www.favorite-casino.com/gambling.html - Tons of interesdting stuff!!!

free slots on July 7, 2005 2:42 AM

all I get is a blank green screen. no help on troubleshooting. my computer meets all the specs.

on July 12, 2005 8:22 AM

Sorry, don't know how to help. Does anyone else know what the problem could be?

Matt Marshall on July 12, 2005 9:11 AM

Google Earth? Looks great if it works. All that I get is a green screen. What a piece of junk!! That's not beta, rather alpha, untested stuff that should stay in the lab rather than having hundreds of people lose their time trying to get it to work.

Guy Sauve on July 13, 2005 9:12 AM

Guys I think the green screen could be the google back end is either overloaded (everyone loves the google earth) OR because its in beta they are only allowing a certain amount of concurrent connections and once that is reached you get the green screen.

I installed it the day it came out and can always get on. A friend installed it yesterday and always get green screen. So I think that google have an upper limit of register users (every time you install it you get a unique user id I think). Maybe this will be like gmail where they, over time, increase the upper limit of users.

pug on July 13, 2005 4:00 PM

All I get still is a green screen. Very annoying. But I think this is deeper problem than number of users as I got the same thing when it was keyhole.com. I meet allthe specs so it's not that.

on July 16, 2005 4:15 PM

Could the green screen issue be related to a firewall problem?

on July 16, 2005 4:17 PM

It seems the green screen issue may be related to a firewall. Unfortunately nowhere on the google earth site is there any help for what ports need to be opened or why there is this problem. I currently use a netgear 314.

on July 16, 2005 9:42 PM

I downloaded google earth at my work and it worked fine but I downloaded it at home on my new computer and went I click on the icon on my desktop a window opens with the installshield icon that says something like 'published by an unknown user are you should you want to open?' when I clik on run the window closes and nothing else happens. Please help

Vik on July 20, 2005 8:20 AM

I'm running NIS and get a green screen, too. I'm going to reinstall with all permissions and see what happens.

on August 13, 2005 2:36 PM
This thread is closed to new comments.