Out of the loop: Twitter shutting down Vine

Vine, the app that managed to make stars out of people who figured out how to make the most of its six-second video limit in this day of short attention spans, is becoming a victim of Twitter’s woes.

The San Francisco company announced Thursday that Vine’s days are numbered — it will be discontinued in “coming months.” In doing so, the company gave a nod to Vine creators, who in some cases are comedians and musicians and have millions of followers.

For example, Canadian pop-music star Shawn Mendes, who’s also a hit with American teens, rose to fame by posting videos of himself singing covers.

“Thank you. Thank you. To all the creators out there — thank you for taking a chance on this app back in the day,” Twitter said in a post on Medium. Vine videos will remain online for the time being, with Twitter saying creators can download them, and that it will inform them of any changes.

Twitter bought Vine just three years ago, but three years can be an eternity in the age of mobile apps and the internet. Its popular creators — people whose six-second loops were somewhat amusing and sometimes even philosophical — were starting to defect to Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat because Vine failed to develop a sustainable advertising model, as the Wall Street Journal reported earlier this year.

Twitter on Thursday reported earnings that beat estimates, but it also said it would be cutting up to 9 percent of its workforce. The cuts look to have hit Vine, according to the Verge.

 

Above: Screen shot of Vine on the web. (Courtesy of Vine)

 

Tags: , , ,

 

Share this Post



 
 
 
 
 
css.php